In the end a stroll will do

Today was one of those no good frustrating days.

It all started off early this morning after feeding Eden her cereal. I began the process of making broccoli cheese soup. The recipe called for a lot of chopping and since I was making it for our family as well as a few other families it was going to be a big stock pot full of soup.

I was pretty excited about making this big pot of soup and using my favorite tool in the kitchen “the chopper.” It took me literally all morning to do all the chopping for the soup. In between the chopping, I would play with Eden and help her bang on all the pots she had pulled out of a bottom drawer. Pretty soon it was time for Eden’s morning nap. This is a great time for me to get a few things done around the house. So down she went around 9:30 with a bottle and back to the kitchen for me. I was in the kitchen for about 15 minutes when I heard a blood curdling scream. I ran in to Eden’s room so worried about why she had screamed so loud. When I ran in she was standing up in her crib holding on the rails sobbing. I quickly picked her up and started comforting her hoping she would fall back asleep. I think I spent an hour and a half with her in her room trying everything to comfort her and help her back to sleep but she wasn’t having anything to do with closing those big beautiful eyes.

Eden these past couple of days has been having a hard time sleeping. Last night I think she got up four times screaming how I explained earlier. I can’t figure it out for the life of me what makes her so upset. I hope that the rest of this week will be better for her. Poor thing, but back to today. Eden ended up not taking a morning nap which was fine Andrew being a great Dad that he is played with her while I finished up the broccoli cheese soup which I thought was going well tell I started doing three things at once. I smelled something burning but when I checked on everything I had on the burners I couldn’t find the culprit. After lunch I was cleaning up turning off all the burners and a bent over to smell the soup, “bingo” I spooned some out just to see if what I was smelling really tasted that way…. Oh yes it did. Ahhhh!! I was so frustrated with myself. How could I have let that happen? I put so much time into that soup not to mention money and it was no good now. I quickly got on the internet to see if I could salvage my soup. You can find anything on the internet even how to fix burnt soup. I tried this chefs idea of putting a bit of cinnamon and cumin into the soup to take the burnt taste away and it didn’t work. I was all out of ideas. The only thing left to do was to throw away that big stock pot filled to the brim I might add with soup. Thank goodness I had emptied some of the soup into another pot before it burnt. How frustrating it was though to throw away that much soup. I had to leave the kitchen and not think about what had just happened. Andrew being the sweetheart that he is cleaned up all the dirty dishes I had piled up in the sink from cooking that day. Finally latter that afternoon Eden gave in to taking a nap. She took about an hour nap which gave me time to take a little nap myself.

It’s amazing how fast an hour goes by but after what seemed like a 30 minute nap I was woken by Eden’s cries again and so mommy to the rescue. All she needed was a diaper change and some sweet kisses. I think a lot of her fussiness had to do with being cooped up in the house. So I planned a little stroll around the neighborhood. We both bundled up because it was a cold one today. She looked so precious in her little snow cap, brown jump suite, and pink gloves.

The stroller ride was a hit. It definitely lifted her spirits. She was able to see a few dogs and a lot of birds which always makes her happy. She even imitated the dog’s sounds to best of her ability. She was so fun to watch.

The rest of the evening went well. Eden was in a happier mood and feel asleep around 7:30. The soup was down the drain out of sight. Now all I need is my husband home safely from work, which should be around midnight. I think I’m going to stay up and wait on him.

Good night!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had an aweful day, don't worry though bc tomorrow is a new day! I know how you feel. I am waiting for my husband to get home from work too, but he won't until 7 AM...I'm having trouble going to sleep without him.

~aj~ said...

Days like that are going to happen and I just want to say that I think you handled it beautifully, Whitney. I know it also helps that you have such a supportive husband.

I hope Eden is back to sleeping well again soon. I can TOTALLY feel your pain there!