15 month vaccinations

Today was the dreaded 15 month check-up.

Now I say dreaded, not because of the MMR shot they get at this age, you know, the one everyone has been hyping about, but rather just her getting shots in general. Just the thought of my sweet little baby girl getting stabbed multiple times by needles makes me want to cry. But, I know she needs them.

Well, Eden is at the age where she has the doctor’s office figured out. We walked into the office, and she saw all these fun toys. I cringed as I allowed her to play with the toys (you know, the ones with all the germs) knowing that in just a few minutes her face wouldn’t be as happy as it was at that moment. After a few minutes, the nurse called our name and we marched back into the examination room. Eden was content to play and push her stroller in the small room.
She even picked out her own snack. We had decided to forego lunch due to a late nap, and early doctor appointment, but I had packed Eden a yogurt snack. Since Eden is a big girl, she has started wanting to feed herself. So to keep her temper at bay, I held the yogurt while Eden used her spoon to ineffectively feed herself. Andrew took pictures of her trying in vain to put some of the yogurt in her mouth.
Soon after the yogurt was gone, Eden’s temper flared up once again, just in time for Dr. Wright to walk in…perfect. Go ahead and nominate us for Parents of the Year 2009.

Anyways, Dr. Wright handled the situation like he had been doing his job for years. Eden finally calmed down and the examination began only after I pried her off daddy’s chest.
The outcome of her exam was great. She is a happy healthy girl who is growing like a weed.
She is in the 50th percentile for her weight, 90th percentile for her length, and 75th percentile for her head.

Set those percentages to side and lets move on to the part that broke my heart…the shots.

Eden got three shots today Hib, MMR, & PCV. I’m just going to say that I’m so glad they are over with. The look on her face when she was pricked three times almost brought tears to my face. The screaming and crying lasted only a little bit, but it just breaks my heart every time. We told her as we were walking out the door, that mommy and daddy know that those shots hurt, but you need them so you won’t get really sick. I know she understands. It’s just hard to see your child go through pain, even if the pain only lasts just a little bit.

Now, we are back home. Eden is taking a nice nap that has lasted a good hour so far. It’s a beautiful day today. I think when she wakes up we might just have to run through some sprinklers before dinner time.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!


1 comment:

jill said...

what a big girl! stupid shots. sophie has started freaking out the minute the nurse calls our name. she likes to lay down in the floor and kick and scream while they try to weigh her. sorry to tell you guys, but i think i should be parent of the year instead. haha! hope she's feeling better!